This blog captures my journey to take a break from jewelry designing to learn something new. Join me as I learn the art of photography and Photoshop Elements and watch me create through my lens. ~ Dee

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Reflecting on 2012...

Happy New Year to Everyone!  Farewell 2012.....Hello 2013...what the heck!!!?? Where did the year go so fast?

I've been reading a lot of post this month so far, that have lists of things for the new year, but I'd like to focus or reflect on this past year this week.  A lot of this blog is about my lessons learned during my journey to learn photography, so I'd like to take a minute to reflect on this past year and what it has taught me.  This past year has been a lot about technical learning, trying different things and finding my passion with a few prize lessons here and there:

1.  Make every opportunity a learning one - I've taken several classes, read more than my share of books and connected with different photographers this past year and even the best of the best will tell you, every opportunity is a learning one. Even if you've learned it before, revisiting the basics can always provide you with new and different perspectives. 
A few of my many many books purchased on photography


2.  Push through the tough times - There were times when I just didn't feel like going out to take photos, but I forced myself and it was well worth it.  Most walks can take 2-3 hours, but on those days that I just didn't have the energy, it helped to make it into a game or challenge with a time limit. You leave home with a purpose, and you return with results and satisfaction.
I was very sick the weekend I took this photo, but the weather was beautiful. I forced myself to go out for just 1 hour to capture some Fall photos I had not taken yet.


3.  Enjoy life..take a break to do what you love -  I've always been a fan of "me time", but the past couple of years have made it challenging.  This past year I was able to carve some "me time" in just to get away and 2013 will bring more of it. 
Taken while on vacation at Virginia Beach

4.  Giving and learning -While learning this year, there were many opportunities for me to take photos for free.  My subjects got something out of it that they were able to enjoy and appreciate and they were more than happy to help me with my journey.  I appreciate each and every one of them for their patience and time. 
Taken at an Alzheimer's event this fall

5.  Snap with a Passion - I've seen the difference in photos I was taking just to be taking, and those events that I was passionate about.  Your photography is an expression of who you are and what makes you feel good, make every shot count.   


6.  Set small goals and keep them - I've learned this past year that long term goals don't work for me without a clear plan...365 project comes to mind.  This year I will set short goals with a purpose and try my best to follow through. 
365 project photo that went down the drain after less than one month

7.  Patience - Photoshop Elements and Lightroom 4 have both taught me patience in learning.  I've had my struggles during the year learning these software applications, but in the end, when I sat myself down and really focused on learning without shortcuts, the end results proved very helpful..it was magical.  Don't get me wrong, I'm still working on getting it straight from camera, as my patience for post processing is still very limited, but I have tools to help me when need them. 

2013 here I come....

Unveiling about 2012,
Dee


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...