This blog captures my journey to take a break from jewelry designing to learn something new. Join me as I learn the art of photography and Photoshop Elements and watch me create through my lens. ~ Dee

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Sunset New Years Eve 2012

Well, there is no doubt about it, 2012 is here; and, it's even harder to believe that the first week is almost over!  Before we get too far into the year, I wanted to share some photos I took on December 31st.   A fellow photographer friend and I went on a casual shoot to capture the sunset.  I've taken a few pictures of the sun setting, just by chance, like this capture one evening leaving my parents, but it's never been a planned event. 


Mainly because my life isn't that organized.  In order to get the best landscape shots, with a sunrise or sunset, I would have to either miss my last hour of good rest in the morning before work or miss sleeping in on the weekend..."yeah right", or skip dinner in the winter.."aint gonna happen with a teenager in the house", or leave my house near bedtime in the Summer "really?"  Now, if that isn't enough, you have to know what time the sun will rise or set and depending on what type of photos you are looking for...plan for the weather too!!   Lucky me, it was the weekend, and I couldn't be happier with the results for a first timer.  I didn't lose any sleep, didn't miss dinner, had great company and learned a lot!  All of these photos were taken with a Nikkor 18-55 lens.

(ISO 200, f/11, 1/640 sec )

(ISO 200, f/11, 1/320 sec)

(ISO 200, f/14, 1/800 sec)

(ISO 200, f/11, 1/1000 sec)
 Lesson Learned:
I will never be a professional landscape photographer...the hours are a killer!  I learned that with the right surroundings there are so many different shots to be captured every minute.  As the sun begins to set, every shot is something different in terms of where the light is, how soft the shadows become and what color the sky turns.  Playing around with different settings and exposures will give you a range of finished shots to choose from....It's a beautiful thing to capture and I'm happy I had the pleasure of catching the last one of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...